State Authorizations & Complaint Resolutions


The Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA) mandates that an institution offering postsecondary education in other States through distance or correspondence education must meet any requirements of the State in which a student resides. The UNH College of Professional Studies is working with state agencies throughout the country to ensure the proper state authorizations are in place. 

In addition, 49 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands have signed reciprocity agreements through the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. SARA establishes national standards for the delivery of distance education programs and courses, reduces growing institutional costs to help support affordability, and expands access for students to educational opportunities. UNH CPS may operate in California because of an exemption for public institutions. 

UNH CPS is approved to participate in NC-SARA in New Hampshire. Note that SARA agreements do not apply to professions requiring licensure. Please check with us if you have any questions about our authorization to provide online education in your state. 

Complaint Resolution

Every student deserves a positive educational experience. Sometimes a student's experience may not be what they anticipate, and the student may have a concern or a complaint. 

The UNH College of Professional Studies is ready to provide guidance should you wish to file a grievance during your study in one of its online programs. If an academic issue is unresolved after you have communicated directly with your instructor, you may contact UNH CPS at 

There may be extenuating circumstances beyond your control that prevent you from completing coursework for a term. You should consult with an advisor prior to withdrawing or beginning the petition process. Petitions may also be submitted for variance of other college policies. Please review the Petition Guidelines for detailed information and forms. 

SARA consumer protection provisions require the institution’s home state, through its SARA State Portal Entity, to investigate and resolve allegations of dishonest or fraudulent activity by the state’s SARA-participating institutions, including the provision of false or misleading information. 

A student has the right to lodge a complaint or grievance. The institution should ensure that all concerns and complaints of students are addressed fairly and are resolved promptly. Student complaints relating to consumer protection laws offered under the terms and conditions of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), must first be filed with the institution to seek resolution.  

The student should begin the complaint process with the institution and if a resolution is not found, the student should contact New Hampshire’s SARA State Portal Entity. NC-SARA maintains a directory of SARA State Portal Entities.  

More information about how to file a SARA Student Complaint can be found here

Report an Incident

For anonymous reporting of conduct violations, discrimination, harassment, or violence of any kind (i.e. sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and/or stalking).  

file a report