Military and Veterans Benefits

Tiffany military student

Military and Veteran Education Benefits

We’re proud to be Military Friendly®, the standard that measures an organization's commitment, effort and success in creating sustainable and meaningful benefit for the military community.

Below please find details about benefits for current servicemembers and veterans. Current servicemembers may be eligible for one or more education benefits to help fund your college education. Veterans may be eligible for more than one VA education benefit but you can only use one benefit for a period of service.

Department of Defense Tuition Assistance (TA)

Your education service officer can assist with determining your eligibility.

NH National Guard Education Assistance Act

Also known as the National Guard Tuition Waiver (NGTW), this is an education benefit for those serving in the New Hampshire Army or Air National Guard. This benefit allows members of the New Hampshire National Guard to attend a state-supported postsecondary institution tuition free.

VA Education Benefits 

If you are eligible for more than one benefit, you will need to choose the benefit you would like to use. Please note once you choose a benefit, you can’t change your mind and use the other benefit later. For example, if you are eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (MGIB) and the Post 9/11 GI Bill and you opt to use your Post 9/11 GI Bill, you cannot decide to switch back to the MGIB later.

The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits for guard and reserve servicemembers.  

Find out if you qualify

If you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty, the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help pay for your education and training.  

Find out if you qualify 

Get help with tuition and fees, money for housing, books, and supplies. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post - 9/11 GI Bill®  

Find out if you qualify

If you are the spouse or child of a qualified servicemember, you can receive up to 36 months of transferred Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. The Department of Defense (DoD) approves a transfer of benefits. Learn about transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits.  

Learn about transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits

If you are the spouse or child of a veteran or servicemember who has died, been captured, is missing, or has disabilities, you may be able to receive between 36 and 45 months of benefits to pay for school or job training.  

Find out if you qualify

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) is a scholarship for a child or spouse of a veteran who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, or was a member of the Selected Reserve who died from a service-connected disability.

Find out if you qualify

The Yellow Ribbon Program can help you pay for higher out-of-state, private school, foreign school, or graduate school tuition and fees that the Post 9/11 GI Bill® doesn’t cover. 

You must qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% benefit level, and until August 1, 2022, you are not eligible if you are an active duty servicemember or a spouse using transferred benefits. 

Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program here. 

Formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment. If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment can help. This program helps you explore employment options and address education or training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits.  

Find out if you qualify

Applying For A VA Education Benefit

  • If this is your first time applying for your VA education benefit, you may submit your application online here 
  • If you are transferring to the College of Professional Studies, and are the veteran or servicemember, you will need to complete VA Form 22 -1995 Change of Program or Place of Training 
  • If you are transferring to College of Professional Studies, and are the dependent of the veteran or serviceman, you will need to complete VA Form 22-5495. 

Using Your VA Education Benefit

  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to our Military and Veterans Benefits Coordinator. Please note if you are using your Post 9/11 GI Bill, you may provide a copy of your Statement of Benefits in lieu of your COE.
  • If using your VR&E benefit, your VR&E counselor will provide the school with a Purchase Order (PO).
  • Complete the Veterans Benefit Form by logging in to your WebCAT account. The form will be listed under the billing tab.

Military Tuition Discounts 

We offer a reduced per-credit tuition cost for all military-affiliated students and spouses, regardless of residency status.

Veteran Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Section 3679 of Title 38, U.S. Code

Section 103 of Public Law (PL) 115-407, ‘Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018,’ amends Title 38 US Code 3679 by adding a new subsection (e) that requires disapproval of courses of education, beginning August 1, 2019, at any educational institution that does not have a policy in place that will allow an individual to attend or participate in a course of education, pending VA payment, providing the individual submits a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 31 or 33.

In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679(e), UNH College of Professional Studies adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® (CH33) or Veteran Readiness & Employment (CH31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from VA.

UNH College of Professional Studies will not:

  • Prevent the student’s enrollment;
  • Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
  • Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
  • Deny the student access to any resources (access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities) available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution.

However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  • Produce the VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) by the first day of class;
  • Provide a written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.

Military Transcripts

Make arrangements for your official military transcripts to be sent to Admissions at the UNH College of Professional Studies. 

request your military transcripts



For Additional Information, Contact Our Military and Veterans Benefits Coordinator

Phone: 603-641-4329

Once you apply, our Military and Veterans Benefits Coordinator /School Certifying Official (SCO) will ensure that you are enrolled and certified for courses that meet degree requirements, and help you receive timely payment of your benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website here.

The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.