Payment Policies & FAQs

Office workers


It is the student’s responsibility to become familiar with the College’s due dates, policies, and procedures. The following resources will help you understand these important guidelines.



Payment Deadlines

For a detailed version of each term’s deadlines, visit the Academic Calendar.

If you do not pay your bill by the due date, you may be dropped from your courses, you may be charged a late fee or you may have a hold put on your account that prevents you from registering in the future or from obtaining transcripts. Your account may also be assigned to an outside collection agency.

The Student Financial Responsibility Agreement describes the financial obligation a student accepts when enrolling in classes at UNH College of Professional Studies. Students are required to sign the Student Financial Responsibility Agreement during the Admissions process. It is also available to students in Webcat.

Tuition and fees are 100% refundable when you drop a course during the official Drop Period.

  • 16-Week Semester Courses
    Drop prior to the end of the second week of classes
  • 8-Week Courses
    Drop prior to the end of the second week of classes
  • Learning Contracts
    The Registrar’s Office will notify you of the last dates to drop and withdraw

    Depending on the aid you have received, you may be responsible for repaying some or all of the aid to the College if you withdraw. If federal financial aid has been received, it will be returned to the lender in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education regulations. A pro rata schedule is used to determine the amount of federal aid you have earned at the time of withdrawal, up to the 60% point of each course length. You are responsible for any resulting balance.

    Returning Financial Aid (Withdrawal)

    A “withdrawal” is a change in registration after the official drop period deadline for the course. You should read and understand our withdrawal process before taking action; withdrawals may affect your financial aid in a number of ways. Examples include: creating a balance due you need to pay to the college, accepting additional aid, returning overpaid/excess loans, and more.

    Please check with the Financial Aid Office before dropping/withdrawing if you are receiving financial aid (grants and/or loans).

    A $30 processing fee will be charged for all checks returned for insufficient funds.

    When there’s an unpaid balance that’s past due, a financial hold is placed on your account which prevents future enrollment or the release of an academic transcript. This occurs when:

    • Student account balances which remain unpaid after the start of the term
    • Balances that occur due to a return of federal financial aid

    The Student Accounts Office will take appropriate collection steps, including but not limited to dunning calls, emails, letters, placement with outside billing and collection agencies, and/or contact with credit bureaus. Unpaid balances assigned to a third-party collection agency may be subject to additional fees or interest charges. A delinquency fee may be assessed due to a defaulted account or financial agreement. All costs, including attorney fees associated with the collection of an overdue account, will be charged to the student.

    Students may enroll in classes or request an academic transcript after all past due balances are paid in full.

    For more information please visit this page. 

    What is Form 1098-T?

    Form 1098-T is a tax document prepared by higher education institutions to report a student’s enrollment status, payments of qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE), and scholarships and grants disbursed during the calendar year. A copy of this information is also sent to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

    What are qualified tuition and related expenses?

    Qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) include UNH CPS tuition, course fees, enrollment fees, and technology fees.

    What does each box on Form 1098-T report?

    • Box 1 reports amounts paid for UNH CSP tuition, course fees, enrollment fees, and technology fees during the calendar year. Box 1 may include payments made in the current calendar year for courses to be held at Granite State College during the upcoming calendar year (e.g., tuition paid in December 2022 for Winter Term 2023 will be reported in Box 1 of Form 1098-T issued for calendar year 2022).  
    • Box 4 is for adjustments made for a prior year such as QTRE payments and/or reductions in charges for QTRE that relate to amounts billed from a prior year.
    • Box 5 reports scholarships and grants disbursed during the calendar year. This amount includes all payments designated as scholarships and grants that are administered and processed by UNH CPS Student Accounts, as well as all payments by third parties (i.e., government, private, civic, religious, and/or nonprofit grants) to offset the cost of attendance.
    • Box 6 is for adjustments to scholarships or grants from a prior year.
    • Box 7 is checked if any payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses reported for 2022 relate to an academic period that begins in January through March of 2023.
    • Box 8 is checked if the student was at least a half-time student during any academic term that began in 2022. A half-time student is a student enrolled for at least half the full-time academic workload for the course of study the student is pursuing.

    Please refer to the IRS FAQ on CARES Act funding for information related to Form 1098-T

    Box 1 of my Form 1098-T does not equal the amount I paid to Granite State College for tuition during the year. Is this a mistake?

    No - Box 1 reports amounts paid for QTRE during the calendar year (January to December of the previous year), as opposed to the academic year (September of the previous year to September of the current year). The form does not consider that tuition bills may be due in a different calendar year than the term dates. For example, tuition for the Winter Term is typically billed in December, so a student may have paid tuition for the winter term in December 2022, even though the classes did not commence until January 2023. The tuition paid for the Winter Term will be reported in Box 1 of the form issued for calendar year 2022.

    I made a payment for Winter Term 2023, why isn’t Box 7 of my Form 1098-T checked?

    Box 7 is checked if any payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses reported for 2021 relate to an academic period that begins in January through March of 2023. For example, Box 7 would be checked if a payment was posted to your account in December 2022 for the upcoming Winter Term; the amount paid would be reported in Box 1, with Box 7 checked. Alternatively, if the payment for the winter term posted in January 2023, then Box 7 would not be checked, as the payment was not made during calendar year 2022.

    Who will receive a Form 1098-T?

    UNH CPS issues Form 1098-T only to degree-seeking students whose scholarships and grants do not exceed qualified tuition and related expenses for the calendar year. Copies of Form 1098-T are also filed with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

    Consistent with IRS regulations, UNH CPS does not issue Form 1098-T to:

    • students enrolled in courses that do not lead to a post-secondary degree (i.e., non-degree students)
    • students whose QTRE is 100% covered by scholarships and grants

    How will I receive my Form 1098-T?

    Form 1098-T is typically available by the end of January. To access your Form 1098-T electronically, use the following steps:

    • Visit (Internet Explorer 9 users may need to use “Compatibility View”).
    • Click the “First Time Students” button.
    • Enter your first and last name and the last 5 digits of your Social Security number.
    • Click “Submit.”
    • If you are eligible, you will be instructed to create an account. Follow the instructions on the website to create a free account and retrieve your 1098-T form. If records are not found for you or you have difficulty creating account, use the “Help” link in the left menu.

    Note that if you retrieve your Form 1098-T online, you will NOT receive a mailed copy.

    How do I use Form 1098-T?

    The amounts reported on Form 1098-T may assist students in completing IRS Form 8863, which is used to calculate certain education tax credits that students may qualify for when filing their federal income tax returns. Depending on a student’s income (or family’s income, if a dependent), enrollment status (full-time or part-time), and/or the amount of qualified educational expenses for the year, students may be eligible for a federal education tax credit.

    It is the student’s responsibility to maintain records of any scholarships, grants and other funding received in excess of tuition and fees during the calendar year, and to report these amounts on his or her individual income tax return if used for non-qualified expenses such as room and board, travel, and non-essential equipment.

    There is an error on my Form 1098-T – how can I get a corrected copy?

    Contact the UNH College of Professional Studies Student Accounts Office:

    What resources are available regarding questions on Form 1098-T?

    Note: The UNH College of Professional Studies cannot provide personal tax advice. Please contact a tax advisor for additional questions.

    Student records at the UNH College of Professional Studies are governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), your academic and account information is confidential between the College and the student. You may grant permission for other people to have access to this information, such as a parent or spouse, by completing our Release of Information form.

    Student Accounts:

    How to Pay