A close up of a man wearing a graduate cap

A Continuous Improvement Mindset

In the world of project management, the continuous improvement model reflects the idea that organizations can enhance their operations by making smaller, incremental improvements to services, products, and work processes.

Tom Lencki was introduced to continuous improvement when he started his journey taking Lean Project Management workshops, made available to him as an employee of the State of New Hampshire. Tom felt at home in a “lean” environment, not only because his skills and background were a good fit. He found that continuous improvement was a mindset that he could apply to everything he does. Tom deepened his training and through the process, was introduced to the college and our degree options.

Tom's journey of continuous improvement has led him on a long and successful career path, from the Military to the State Police, and finally as a Lean Master Black Belt. 

Meet Tom

TOM LENCKI
M.S. LEADERSHIP '23
B.S. APPLIED STUDIES – MANAGEMENT '20
SENIOR PROCESS ENGINEER - LEAN MASTER BLACK BELT

How did you select your career path?

Since I was a little boy, I always wanted to be a Marine. As I grew older, I began to see how well a job with State Police could align with military background, and was drawn toward this direction.

Tell us about your military career.

I was deployed on a Mediterranean Float (Navy Ship) for six months. While on the float, I served in Somalia. I was an 0311 which is the infantry, and my specialty was fast roping out of helicopter’s, specifically CH46’s and CH53’s. I spent six months in Okinawa Japan, then conducted Jungle Warfare training in Panama, just to name a few things.

Military service

Did you transition from a military career to public service right away?

Yes. I used the GI Bill® at a community college in Massachusetts to obtain an associate degree in Criminal Justice. When I graduated, I was hired by NH State Police.

What factors influenced your decision to pursue a bachelor’s degree?

I always considered myself a lifetime learner and I wanted to continue to earn my bachelor’s degree: however, the time was never right.

By chance, I was able to collaborate with an Academic Advisor at the college while in training workshops while obtaining my Continuous Improvement – Lean Black Belt. She was a wealth of information and explained my options. It was at that point I realized I needed to find time to finish my degree. I was nearing the end of my State Police career and wanted to set myself up for success post retirement. My family was very supportive and encouraging.

What qualities made the college appeal to you?

We use the Moodle platform for State Police online training, and so does the college. This gave me confidence in my ability to succeed as an online student. I also appreciate how the college is a top Military, Veteran, and adult-focused college and awarded me the most credits for my experience and past education.

What advice would you give to someone who is considering finishing their

bachelor’s degree as an adult?

There is no better time to start then now, I wish I had started earlier. Change is scary; however, the first step is not bad and worth the leap! The staff at the college are very supportive and knowledgeable, they are always there to assist.

Where is Tom now?

In 2020, Tom completed his B.S. in Applied Studies - Management. That June, he retired from the New Hampshire State Police after serving for twenty-one years and accepted a position on the USNH Lean Team as a Lean Master Black Belt. 

Tom enjoyed his online college experience so much that he decided to continue his education even further and pursue a graduate degree. In May of 2023, he earned his Master's Degree in Leadership, and continues to thrive as a Lean Master Black Belt at the University System of New Hampshire. 

Advance Your Public Service Career