Granite State College 50th Anniversary Photos

The Granite State College community gathered on Thursday, September 29th, 2022 to celebrate the college’s 50th anniversary and look toward its bright future as part of University of New Hampshire.

More than 100 alumni, students, staff, faculty, and friends shared in celebration at the Grappone Conference Center in Concord, enjoying an evening of dinner, drinks, and music from the Massive Groove Band.

Statement from James W. Dean, Jr., President of Granite State College and the University of New Hampshire:

“It is an exciting time to celebrate Granite State College as we look back on 50 years of providing affordable, high-quality programs to adult students and forward to the college’s exciting future as part of the University of New Hampshire. GSC’s online programs represent an innovative future where working adults can access an affordable, flexible education that meets the needs of today’s employers.”

Several students and alumni were invited to share toasts to the college and its community.

Joy Acker ’14, who now serves at the college’s Associate Director of Admissions Operations, said Granite State College made it possible to go back to school and achieve her goals.

“I always wanted to go to college, but that dream was put on hold when I had my first child just four months after graduating from high school. Fast forward 15 years: I had four active sons! I also had a full-time job I wasn’t passionate about… I realized that this dream wasn’t about putting myself first, this was about setting an example for my children and earning the qualifications for a career I truly love. Granite State made that possible.”

Michelle Grabowski ‘22, a B.S. Human Services graduate who returned to college at 50 years old, said she was thankful that her degree will advance her career goals as a human services professional.

“Granite State College afforded my husband and me the opportunity to enter the next chapter of our lives equipped with the knowledge and confidence to better serve our community.”

Michelle’s husband Joseph also graduated from the college with a B.S. in Behavioral Science.

About Granite State College’s History and Future:

Since its earliest days, Granite State College has embraced a philosophy of lifelong learning. Over the decades, many things have changed, including its name – initially the School for Continuing Studies in 1972, then the School for Lifelong Learning in 1979, and the College for Lifelong Learning in 1993. But one thing that hasn’t changed is the college’s commitment to college accessibility for adult learners.

With the objective of better serving its students, the college began offering online courses more than 20 years ago. Now, Granite State College is known for its flexible, 100% online programs in high-demand fields.

Granite State College and the University of New Hampshire (UNH) are in the process of merging as part of a new college within UNH. This new college will combine Granite State College and UNH Manchester and will be called the University of New Hampshire College of Professional Studies (UNH CPS).

Categories