Our Math Studies degree is a flexible program that provides a pathway to a career in education and eligibility for the New Hampshire Department of Education teacher certification in Mathematics.
This is a field-based program that requires you to work or volunteer in approved programs or education settings while earning your degree. Through your field-based coursework, you’ll be mentored by highly skilled professionals in your field while gaining hands-on experience working with children in educational settings. This program is designed to allow you to apply what you’re learning , giving you the opportunity to build your teaching capacity over time. Graduates of this program will be eligible for certification and highly qualified in mathematics.
Choose from five certification options to pair with your Math Studies degree. These options are available to new students in New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Vermont. See Availability in Your State for full details.
Select an option to view the full course requirements:
- Mathematical Proof
- Number Systems
- Physical Geography
- Geometric Structures
- History of Mathematics
Why UNH CPS?
- Regionally accredited by the New England Commission on Higher Education, Inc. (NECHE).
- Available fully online with select on-campus courses.
- Affordable tuition.
- Nationally ranked online programs.
- About 89% of our students are transfer students. Making the most of your transfer credits is our specialty.
- Career advising is available to all students and alumni. We also extend this service to those considering their college options.
- Faculty who are subject matter experts and share their real-world expertise, helping you apply what you learn to your personal goals and career.
- We’re experts at assessing credit toward your undergraduate degree – not only from previous college coursework, but also for other college-level knowledge demonstrated outside the traditional classroom.
Programs leading to teacher certification or licensure are available to new students in New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
Specific requirements include:
- General Special Education Certification
Rhode Island requires that candidates hold a certificate in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, a content area certification in Middle or Secondary Grades in addition to a Special Education certification.
- Completion of our free, online application for admission
- High school diploma, completion of a high school education in a homeschool setting under state law, or demonstrate high school equivalency.
- Successful completion of one of the following exams will be required for demonstrating high school equivalency: the GED, HiSET, or TASC